Cloudflare Gateway, our comprehensive Secure Web Gateway, allows you to set up policies to inspect DNS, Network, HTTP, and Egress traffic.
- DNS policies inspect DNS queries. You can block domains and IP addresses from resolving on your devices. For more information on DNS filtering, refer to our .
- Network policies inspect individual TCP/UDP/GRE packets. You can block access to specific ports on your origin server, including non-HTTP resources.
- HTTP policies inspect HTTP requests. You can block specific URLs from loading, not just the domain itself. For more information on URL filtering, refer to our .
- Egress policies inspect traffic to assign egress IP addresses unique to your organization.
Selecting a policy type
The recommended policy type depends on what kind of traffic you are trying to filter. Generally speaking:
- To block websites, create an HTTP policy.
- To block non-HTTP traffic such as SSH and RDP, create a network policy.
- To block malware and other security threats, create both DNS and HTTP policies.
- To assign static IP addresses to your organization’s egress traffic, create an egress policy.