The Firewall device posture attribute ensures that a firewall is running on a device.
To enable the Firewall check:
- On the Zero Trust Dashboard, navigate to My Team > Devices > Device posture.
- Click +Add.
- Select Firewall.
- Enter a descriptive name for the check.
- Select your operating system.
- Toggle on the Enable firewall check switch.
- Click Save.
Your device posture attribute is now visible on the Device posture page.
How the Zero Trust client determines that Firewall is running
Operating systems determine Firewall configuration in various ways. Follow the steps below to understand how the client determines if the firewall is enabled.
macOS has two firewalls: an application-based firewall and a port-based firewall. The Zero Trust client will report a firewall is enabled if either firewall is running.
- Open System Preferences and navigate to Security & Privacy.
- Verify that Firewall is On.
sudo /sbin/pfctl -s info.
- Look for the value of Status which must be Enabled.
- Open a Powershell window.
- Run the
Get-NetFirewallProfile -Name Publiccommand to check the Firewall status of your public interface.
- Look for the value of Enabled which must be set to True.Get-NetFirewallProfile -Name Public