WordPress.com and Cloudflare
Getting started with WordPress.com and Cloudflare
Cloudflare and WordPress.com are partnering to offer customers Cloudflare’s performance and security solutions with WordPress.com’s web-hosting platform. Getting started is easy.
During this process, Cloudflare scans your existing WordPress.com DNS records and displays them. The records will look similar to the examples below.
A example.com 22.214.171.124
A example.com 126.96.36.199
WordPress.com does not guarantee the IP address will never change. For maximum uptime, you should complete the following:
3. Enter the domain into your browser’s address bar to make sure the domain is correct.
4. Add the record
CNAME @ examplecom.wordpress.com.
5. Remove the A records.
Congratulations! Your site is now accelerated and protected by Cloudflare.
Enabling additional Cloudflare products
Cloudflare Web Analytics (Free)
Cloudflare Web Analytics gives web creators the information they need in a simple, clean way that doesn’t sacrifice their visitors’ privacy. One of the goals of the partnership is to bring a privacy-first analytics solution to WordPress.com sites.
2. On the Account homepage, select Web Analytics from the bottom, right of the page.
3. Enter the hostname to use with Web Analytics. Typically the hostname is your top-level domain, like
4. Click Next.
5. Select Click to copy under Copy JS Snippet.
1. Open WordPress and select your site.
2. Select Tools > Marketing.
3. Locate the Cloudflare section.
4. Paste the code snippet you copied from Cloudflare into the Tracking ID field. The field will extract the Tracking ID from the snippet.
5. Toggle Add to Cloudflare to enable the tracking.
Automatic Platform Optimization for WordPress.com ($5/month, included with Pro and Business plans)
Cloudflare’s for WordPress.com is the easiest way to drastically speed up your WordPress.com site. With the , Cloudflare accelerates your WordPress.com site by intelligently caching dynamic content, which means fast performance for your visitors no matter where they are. Find out more from our and .
- Cloudflare free plan + $5/month APO add-on or a Pro or Business plan subscription (includes APO)
- WordPress.com Business plan or above (requires plugins)
Install and enable APO
3. From the Home screen of the Cloudflare section, turn on Automatic Platform Optimization.
How do I verify that Cloudflare is now my DNS provider on record?
2. From the dropdown under DNS Check, select NS record.
3. In the text field, enter your domain name and click Search.
4. Verify that your Cloudflare nameservers display.
How can I confirm APO is up and running?
In a terminal, use the following cURL. The header
'accept: text/html' is important
$ curl -svo /dev/null -A "CF" 'https://example.com/' -H 'accept: text/html' 2>&1 | grep 'cf-cache-status\|cf-edge\|cf-apo-via'< cf-cache-status: HIT< cf-apo-via: cache< cf-edge-cache: cache,platform=wordpress
cf-cache-status displays if the asset hit the cache or was considered dynamic and served from the origin.
cf-apo-viaheader returns the APO status for the given request.
cf-edge-cacheheader means the WordPress plugin is installed and enabled.
How can I verify APO and the WordPress.com integration works?
1. Publish a change on your WordPress website.
2. Refresh the page twice.
3. You should see a change. The page should be cached with
cf-cache-status: HIT and
cf-apo-via: cache in a response header.