With custom (or vanity) nameservers, a domain can use Cloudflare DNS without using Cloudflare branded nameservers. For instance, you can configure
ns2.example.com as nameservers for
- : With zone-level custom nameservers, each custom nameserver name must be a subdomain of the zone where the custom nameservers are configured. These custom nameservers can only be used within the respective zone.
- : With account-level custom nameservers, you can use the same custom nameservers for different zones in the account. The domain or domains that provide the nameservers names do not have to exist as zones in Cloudflare.
- : With tenant-level custom nameservers, you can use the same custom nameservers for different zones and across different accounts, as long as the accounts are part of the . The domain or domains that provide the nameservers names do not have to exist as zones in Cloudflare.
- Zone custom nameservers are available for zones on Business or Enterprise plans. Via API or on the Dashboard.
- Account custom nameservers are available for customers on Business (after ) or Enterprise plans. Once configured, account custom nameservers can be used by all zones in the account, regardless of the zone plan. Via API only.
- Tenant custom nameservers, if created by the tenant owner, will be available to all zones belonging to any account that is part of the tenant. Via API only.
Custom nameservers are organized in different sets (
ns_set). Each namesever set must have at least two and no more than five custom nameserver names.