Use lists to refer to a group of items (such as IP addresses) collectively, by name, in rule expressions of Cloudflare products. You can create your own custom lists or use lists managed by Cloudflare, such as .
Lists have the following advantages:
- When creating a rule, using a list is easier and less error-prone than adding a long list of items such as IP addresses to a rule expression.
- When updating a set of rules that target the same group of IP addresses, using an IP List is easier and less error prone than editing multiple rules.
- Lists are easier to read and more informative, particularly when you use descriptive names for your lists.
When you update the content of a list, any rules that use the list are automatically updated, so you can make a single change to your list rather than modify rules individually.
Cloudflare stores your lists at the account level. You can use the same list in rules of different zones in your Cloudflare account.
Cloudflare supports the following types of lists:
Refer to the page about each list type for details.
The name of a list must comply with the following requirements:
- The name uses only lowercase letters, numbers, and the underscore (
_) character in the name. A valid name satisfies this regular expression:
- The maximum length of a list name is 50 characters.
Working with lists
Creating and editing lists
After creating a list, you can add and remove items from the list, but you cannot change the list name or type.
Using lists in expressions
Both the Cloudflare dashboard and the Cloudflare API support lists:
- To use lists in an expression from the Cloudflare dashboard, refer to .
- To reference a list in an API expression, refer to in the Rules language reference.
List availability varies according to the list type and your Cloudflare plan and subscriptions.
The number of IP Lists you can create depends on the Cloudflare plans associated with the zones in your account. You can store up to a total of 10,000 items across all your lists, regardless of your plan.
The Cloudflare Enterprise plan provides access to the Cloudflare Open Proxies Managed IP List. Other Managed IP Lists are available as part of Enterprise Security Bundles. For more information, contact your account team.
User role requirements
The following user roles have access to the list management functionality:
- Super Administrator
You can only delete a list when there are no rules (enabled or disabled) that reference that list.
List items uploaded via CSV file are handled in the following way:
- Items already in the list are updated from the CSV file.
- Items in the CSV file that were not already in the list are added to the list.
- Existing list items that are not in the CSV file are not be removed from the list.