Protect your origin server — Free
Receiving too many requests can be bad for your origin. These requests might increase latency for visitors, incur higher costs — particularly for cloud-based machines — and could knock your application offline.
Select a plan to see how Cloudflare can help you protect your origin:
Secure origin connections
When you secure origin connections, it prevents attackers from discovering and overloading your origin server with requests.
- Proxy records (when possible): Set up to hide your origin IP addresses and provide DDoS protection. As part of this, you should at your origin to prevent requests from being blocked.
- Review DNS-only records: Audit existing DNS-only records (
TXT, and more) to make sure they do not contain origin IP information.
- Evaluate mail infrastructure: If possible, do not host a mail service on the same server as the web resource you want to protect, since emails sent to non-existent addresses get bounced back to the attacker and reveal the mail server IP.
- Rotate origin IPs: Once , rotate your origin IPs, as DNS records are in the public domain. Historical records are kept and would contain IP addresses prior to joining Cloudflare.
- Prevent external connections: