When you choose API deployment, you get the following benefits:
- Easy protection for complex email architectures, without requiring any change to mailflow operations.
- Agentless deployment for Microsoft 365 and Gmail.
- The initial email protection measures offered by your current email provider.
However, API deployment also has the following disadvantages:
- Area 1 is dependent on your email provider’s API infrastructure and outages will increase the message dwell time in the inbox.
- Area 1 requires read and write access to mailboxes.
- Requires API support from your email provider (does not typically support on-premise providers).
- Your email provider may throttle API requests from Area 1.
- Detection rates may be lower if multiple solutions exist.
- Messages cannot be modified or quarantined.
- Certain URL rewrite schemes cannot be decoded (for example, Mimecast).