Protect your origin server — Pro
Receiving too many requests can be bad for your origin. These requests might increase latency for visitors, incur higher costs — particularly for cloud-based machines — and could knock your application offline.
Select a plan to see how Cloudflare can help you protect your origin:
Secure origin connections
When you secure origin connections, it prevents attackers from discovering and overloading your origin server with requests.
- DNS: and , which will also require that you at your origin.
- Prevent external connections:
Monitor origin health
Zero Downtime Failover
If you have another A or AAAA record in your Cloudflare DNS or your Cloudflare Load Balancer provides another origin in the same pool, Zero-Downtime Failover automatically retries requests to your origin even before a Load Balancing decision is made.
Reduce origin traffic
Additionally, adjust various settings in your Firewall to restrict potentially malicious traffic:
- Get automatic protection from common threats with our
- Set up customized
- Block, challenge, or allow specific addresses with
- Create (usage-based billing) as a final defense against malicious traffic