You can use custom hostname analytics for two general purposes: exploring how your customers use your product and sharing the benefits provided by Cloudflare with your customers.
Explore customer usage
Use custom hostname analytics to help your organization with billing and infrastructure decisions, answering questions like:
- “How many total requests is your service getting?”
- “Is one customer transferring significantly more data than the others?”
- “How many global customers do you have and where are they distributed?”
If you see one customer is using more data than another, you might increase their bill. If requests are increasing in a certain geographic region, you might want to increase the origin servers in that region.
Share Cloudflare data with your customers
With custom hostname analytics, you can also share site information with your customers, including data about:
- How many pageviews their site is receiving.
- Whether their site has a large percentage of bot traffic.
- How fast their site is.
Using , you can send set sample rates (or not include logs altogether) based on filter criteria. This flexibility allows you to maintain selective logs for custom hostnames without massively increasing your log volume.