DNS over TLS
By default, DNS is sent over a plaintext connection. DNS over TLS is one way to send DNS queries over an encrypted connection. Cloudflare supports DNS over TLS on standard port 853 and is compliant with .
Cloudflare supports DNS over TLS on
18.104.22.168 on port 853. The certificate presented is for cloudflare-dns.com.
How it works
A stub resolver (the DNS client on a device that talks to the DNS resolver) connects to the resolver over a TLS connection:
- Before the connection the DNS stub resolver has stored a base64 encoded SHA256 hash of cloudflare-dns.com's TLS certificate (called SPKI).
- DNS stub resolver establishes a TCP connection with
- DNS stub resolver initiates a TLS handshake.
- In the TLS handshake,
cloudflare-dns.compresents its TLS certificate.
- Once the TLS connection is established, the DNS stub resolver can send DNS over an encrypted connection, preventing eavesdropping and tampering.
- All DNS queries sent over the TLS connection must comply with specifications of .
$ kdig -d @22.214.171.124 +tls-ca +tls-host=cloudflare-dns.com example.com;; DEBUG: Querying for owner(example.com.), class(1), type(1), server(126.96.36.199), port(853), protocol(TCP);; DEBUG: TLS, imported 170 system certificates;; DEBUG: TLS, received certificate hierarchy:;; DEBUG: #1, C=US,ST=CA,L=San Francisco,O=Cloudflare\, Inc.,CN=\*.cloudflare-dns.com;; DEBUG: SHA-256 PIN: yioEpqeR4WtDwE9YxNVnCEkTxIjx6EEIwFSQW+lJsbc=;; DEBUG: #2, C=US,O=DigiCert Inc,CN=DigiCert ECC Secure Server CA;; DEBUG: SHA-256 PIN: PZXN3lRAy+8tBKk2Ox6F7jIlnzr2Yzmwqc3JnyfXoCw=;; DEBUG: TLS, skipping certificate PIN check;; DEBUG: TLS, The certificate is trusted.;; TLS session (TLS1.3)-(ECDHE-SECP256R1)-(ECDSA-SECP256R1-SHA256)-(AES-256-GC;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY; status: NOERROR; id: 58548;; Flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1; ANSWER: 1; AUTHORITY: 0; ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; EDNS PSEUDOSECTION:;; Version: 0; flags: ; UDP size: 1536 B; ext-rcode: NOERROR;; PADDING: 408 B ;; QUESTION SECTION:;; example.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION:example.com. 2347 IN A 188.8.131.52 ;; Received 468 B;; Time 2018-03-31 15:20:57 PDT;; From 184.108.40.206@853(TCP) in 12.6 ms
Supported TLS versions
Cloudflare's DNS over TLS supports TLS 1.3 and TLS 1.2.