Cloudflare Mirage accelerates image loading on your domain.
It does this by:
- Virtualizing images, so visitors on poor connections get a smaller version at a lower resolution until they can access a higher bandwidth connection.
- Streamlining image requests, so visitors can see optimized images immediately.
- Acting as a lazy loader, turning all images into load on demand.
- Polish improves performance for images, but only those hosted on your origin server.
- Mirage applies to any image on your website.
Image formats compatible with Mirage
Mirage will work with the following image formats:
To enable Mirage image optimization for your entire domain:
- Log in to the .
- Select your account and zone.
- Go to Speed > Optimization > Image Optimization.
- For Mirage, switch the toggle to On.
Mirage’s features for Mobile Browser optimization are triggered based on high latency and poor network connections. You can test Mirage by making a request to your domain using a mobile and one of the following flags with your domain in your mobile browser:
To run the pre-loader only and serve degraded images on the page enter:
Here is an example where Mirage 2 is triggered by a
?forcepreloadonly flag. The notable image degradation is a sign that Mirage is working: