About Waiting Room
Cloudflare Waiting Room protects websites by queueing site visitors when a website experiences unmanageable surges in legitimate traffic that may otherwise bring an application down.
Waiting Room protects your origin server by preventing surges in legitimate traffic that may overload your origin.
Waiting Room also benefits your visitors by:
- Keeping your application online and preventing them from reaching error pages.
- Showing estimated wait times that are continuously updated.
- Opening up new spots more quickly by tracking dynamic inflow and .
- Remembering each visitor’s status to prevent someone from losing their place in line or having to re-queue if they leave your site.
- Appearing in your own , which enhances trust and lets you provide additional information as needed.
How it works
- If a page is not experiencing heavy traffic, a visitor accesses the page directly.
- If page traffic crosses a , a visitor enters a virtual waiting room until it is their turn to access the page:
- Each user receives a to manage the dynamic outflow of requests from the waiting room to the origin website in order.
- While in the waiting room, the user’s browser automatically refreshes every 20 seconds to give them updated information about their estimated wait time.
- When a user exits the waiting room and reaches your application, they can leave and re-enter without waiting for the length of time specified by the .
- Because waiting rooms support dynamic inflow and , new spots appear more quickly and estimated wait times are lower and more accurate.
The following customers have access to Cloudflare Waiting Room: