Dynamic advertisement best practices
Verify user roles & obtain prefix IDs
To prevent issues and simplify the advertisement process during an attack scenario, complete the following tasks.
Assign appropriate user roles. Ensure that users assigned to manage the status of IP prefix advertisement have the Administrator or Super Administrator role in your Cloudflare account. For more information, refer to .
Get a list of the Prefix IDs you want to manage. Maintain a list of Cloudflare prefix IDs to simplify dynamic advertisement management and operations. To obtain Prefix IDs, review from the dashboard or use the operation in the Cloudflare API. Refer to these Prefix IDs when managing prefix advertisement.
Enable prefix advertisement
To avoid latency and the possibility of dropped routes, enable prefix advertisement from Cloudflare before you withdraw the advertisement from your data center.
- To enable prefix advertisement, refer to . This operation requires your Account ID, Prefix IDs, and API key.
- Verify the advertisement using a looking glass of your choice, such as . Use the Cloudflare ASN (13335) to track the advertisement route.
- Remove the prefix advertisement that originates from your data center.
Enablement takes approximately five to seven minutes.
Disable prefix advertisement
To disable (withdraw) prefix advertisement, reverse the steps you used to enable it:
- Add the prefix advertisement to your data center.
- (Optional) Verify the advertisement using a looking glass of your choice, such as .
- To disable prefix advertisement at Cloudflare’s edge, refer to . This operation requires your Account ID, Prefix IDs, and API key.
Disablement takes approximately 15 minutes.