The goal of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is to get your website to rank higher on various search engine providers (Google, Bing, etc.).
In practice, SEO is primarily about quality content, user experience, and not making things more difficult for search engine crawlers. While Cloudflare cannot write quality content for you, our service can help with user experience — especially related to site speed — and search crawlers.
SEO improvements with Cloudflare
Several Cloudflare features improve Search Engine site rankings. However, meaningful and regularly updated site content is still crucial to improving SEO.
Increase site speed
To make sure your domain is accessible over HTTPS:
Enable Crawler Hints
Enable Automatic Signed Exchanges (SXGs)
Automatic Signed Exchanges (SXGs) is an open web platform specification developed by Google to verify a cached version of a website.
When you enable , your site will load faster when linked to from a site supporting SXG. Since many search engines use page load times to determine search result ranking, SXGs can provide an SEO boost.
Depending on your domain’s security settings, you might accidentally block search engine crawlers.
If you notice SEO issues, make sure your:
- are allowing Verified Bots.
- (new version only) are allowing Verified Bots.
- settings are not blocking Verified Bots.
The following characteristics do not affect your domain’s SEO:
- Changing your nameservers: Using Cloudflare’s nameservers does not affect your domain’s SEO.
- Server location: According to Google, is not important for SEO.
- Sites sharing IP addresses: Search engines do not generally penalize domains using shared IP addresses unless several of these sites are malicious or spammy.
- Cloudflare caching: When Cloudflare caches your content, it actually speeds up content delivery and only improves SEO. Our caching does not create duplicate content, rewrite URLs, or create additional subdomains.